What3words way marker 6 location:
Nettlehirst Water tower
The tall brick tower once supplied running water to the big house. In the days before piped water, farms and rural buildings got their water using a bucket from a well in the ground. Barrmill village did not have a piped water supply until 1916 and even then it was from standpipes in the road, not to individual houses.
Water was once drawn by a windpump and stored in the metal tank at the top of this brick tower, from where it was piped down by gravitational feed to the mansion house. The tower was built of ‘Reid Lugton’ bricks.